Interrupted system call

Peter Bell peter at bellfamily.org.uk
Sun Nov 16 03:11:16 EST 2014

Hi,

I'm new to Python, using Python3 on RaspberryPi/ArchLinux for a home
automation project.

I started off with interfacing an LCD screen (serial interface) and have
this working reasonably well.

Then I received a couple of interface boards.  I attached one of these,
together with the serial interface for the LCD.

Even without loading (importing) any support libraries for the new
interface board, the code which was running perfectly well before is now
producing an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line
461, in read
     ready,_,_ = select.select([self.fd],[],[], self._timeout)
InterruptedError: [Errno 4] Interrupted system call

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./water.py", line 36, in <module>
     picasso.putstr(strftime("%a, %d %b %Y %X"),1,1)
   File "/root/picasso.py", line 44, in putstr
     port.read(1)
   File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line
480, in read
     if e[0] != errno.EAGAIN:
TypeError: 'InterruptedError' object is not subscriptable

I'm not sure how to address the 'InterruptedError'.  Can it/should it be
masked at the user code level with a 'try:' block?  Or is there another
way to deal with it?

I presume that the subsequent error (TypeError) indicates some fault in
the system level library.  I'm not sure where/how to report this.

Any advice would be appreciated.