Efficient Threading

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 00:18:20 EST 2014

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Empty Account <emptya45 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about writing a load test tool in Python, so I am interested
> in how I can create the most concurrent threads/processes with the fewest OS
> resources. I would imagine that I/O would need to be non-blocking.
>
> There are a number of options including standard library threading, gevent,
> stackless python, cython parallelism etc. Because I am new to Python, I am
> unsure on which libraries to choose. I am not really bothered on the tool
> chain, just as long as it is Python related (so I'd use PyPy for example).

If you need a large amount of concurrency, you might look at Jython
with threads.  Jython threads well.

If you don't intend to do more than a few hundred concurrent things,
you might just go with CPython and multiprocessing.

Fortunately, the interfaces are similar, so you can try one and switch
to another later without huge issues.  The main difference is that
multiprocessing doesn't show variable changes to other processes,
while multithreading (more often) does.