Question about installing python and modules on Red Hat Linux 6

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sat Nov 15 10:45:01 EST 2014

On 2014-11-15, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> pythonista wrote:
>
>> I am developing a python application as a contractor.
>>
>> I would like to know if someone can provide me with some insight into the
>> problems that then infrastructure team has been having.
>>
>> The scope of the project was to install python 2.7.8 and 4 modules/site
>> packages on a fresh linux build.
>
> A "fresh linux build" of Red Hat Linux 6? RHL 6 was discontinued in 2000.
> That's *at least* 14 years old. Why on earth are you using something so old
> instead of a recent version of RHEL, Centos or Fedora?

I'm sure the OP meant RHEL 6, and not RH 6 [yes, I realize you know
that two and are just making a point about how it pays to include
accurate info when asking for help.]

The OP probably doesn't even _know_ that there was prior product line
called RedHat Linux with a version 6.  [Kids these days!]  IIRC, I
started with one of the "holiday" RedHat Linux releases before they
were numbered.  I think it was "Mothers Day" or "Holloween".  The
first numbered release I remember was RedHat Linux 3.something.  RHL
was pretty good up through the 6.x series, but 7.00 was utterly and
famously shoddy [at that point I switched to Mandrake].  RH 7.00 was
so notoriously bad, I'm surprised that they didn't skip "7" entirely
in the RHEL product line to avoid the bad memories...

--
Grant