Call for information - What assumptions can I make about Unix users' access to Windows?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 05:45:05 EST 2014

On 7 November 2014 15:46, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> To that end, I'd like to get an idea of what sort of access to Windows
> a typical Unix developer would have.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Based on the feedback, I think it's going to be useful to provide two
options. First of all, an EC2 AMI that can be used by people without
access to a local Windows system. While other cloud providers are a
possibility, EC2 provides a free tier (for the first year) and is
well-known, so it's probably the easiest to get started with (at least
it was for me!) Also, I will provide a script that can be used to
automatically build the environment on a newly-installed machine. The
idea is that you can use this on a Windows VM (something that a number
of people have said they have access to).

The script may be usable on an existing machine, but it's hard to make
it robust, as there are too many failure modes to consider (software
already installed, configuration and/or permission differences, etc).
So while such use may be possible, I probably won't consider it as
supported.

Thanks again,
Paul