ssl error with the python mac binary

Paul Wiseman poalman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 10:18:08 EST 2014

On 12 November 2014 19:52, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> In article
> <CACgdh2igu5JEeHEO4EVA6=TiqqvosX1z_CuQ=Ti5Axbf=LcVyQ at mail.gmail.com>,
>  Paul Wiseman <poalman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm currently using the installer with py2app to make a distributable
>> app that targets 10.5+ (including ppc). To save having more than one
>> build I use this for all downloads. Although I'm starting to consider
>> making a second 32/64 distributable. Are there many major drawbacks
>> for distributing this i386/ppc binary for all versions of OSX up 10.9
>> and 10.10?
>
> For a standalone app, not really.  The main difference is that, by using
> the older 10.5 ABI, a few functions in the os module are not available
> (if they were implemented first in OS X 10.6 or later) and/or they may
> work a little differently.  AFAIK, the most impactful difference, by
> far, is the OpenSSL version difference you have run into.  Up to now, I
> don't recall any compatibility problems with 10.5 ABI programs running
> on later versions of OS X or, for the most part, mixing extension
> modules compiled to later ABIs with a 10.5 Python, although there might
> be issues with mixing versions of C++ modules (Python and its standard
> library do not use C++ themselves).  But, of course, there's no
> guarantee that something won't break in a future release of OS X.  So
> far, so good.

Yea, I'm a bit worried that apple will break it on a future release- I
think I will start looking into making a second build. I wonder what
are the chances they'll make a 64bit only OSX one day?

>> That's great news! Thanks for this! I've always found building things
>> on mac a huge pain and wasn't much looking forward to the prospect of
>> trying to build a 32/ppc python build on a 64 bit 10.10 machine (would
>> that even be possible?).
>
> It's possible: I do it.  But I cheat a bit: I have 10.5 running in a
> virtual machine on a 10.10 host.  In theory, it's possible to build
> natively on 10.10.  The trick is getting a version of Xcode 3 installed
> on 10.10 since support for building ppc archs was removed in Xcode 4.  I
> also cheat a bit there: I happen to still have copies of Xcode 3.1.4 and
> 3.2.6 installed on 10.10 because I made sure to preserve them through
> upgrades from 10.6 days.  IIRC, directly installing the necessary
> components from 3.2.6 on newer systems would require some hacking.  Then
> you have to be really vigilant that the build never strays from the old
> SDK and tools, which is not something we claim to support at the moment.
> The VM approach is quite safe and reliable.

I never thought about a VM for this for some reason- I have a few as
well for basic testing on older OSX versions. I remember having to
re-enable ppc in later versions of Xcode
(http://stackoverflow.com/q/5333490/659346) when I was building some
extensions for the app. That was a bit of a pain.

Thanks for your help though! look forward to the 2.7.9 release :)