Python modules

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 10 02:48:04 EST 2014

Steve Hayes <hayesstw at telkomsa.net> writes:

> So if I want to run it on another computer, where do I look for the
> compiled executable program to copy?

You generally don't do that (the compiled files tend to be specific to
various aspects of the target platform). This is a way that i's
important to remember that most Python interpreters require compiled
Python code.

Instead, to have a Python program run on a different computer, the files
to copy are the *source* files — preferably, in the hierarchy those
files expect.

You can do this with ‘rsync’ <URL:https://rsync.samba.org/> for simple
cases.

For more complex cases, look into Python's distribution and packaging
tools <URL:https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/>.

For even more complex cases (e.g. where the Python code is only part of
a more diverse code base), look into deployment systems and operating
system packages.

--
 \         “When we pray to God we must be seeking nothing — nothing.” |
  `\                                                —Francis of Assisi |