Python script that does batch find and replace in txt files

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 15:23:20 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

something like (untested)

import glob, codecs, re, os

regex = re.compile(r"Age: |Sex: |House No: ") # etc etc

for txt in glob.glob("/some/path/*.txt"):
    with codecs.open(txt, encoding="utf-8") as f:
        oldlines = f.readlines()
    for i, line in enumerate(oldlines):
        if "Contact's Name: " in line:
            break
    newlines = [regex.sub("", line).strip().replace("-", "_") for line in oldlines[i:]
    with codecs.open(txt + "_out.txt", "wb", encoding="utf-8") as w:
        w.write(os.linesep.join(newlines))