FYI: Micro Python running on kickstarter pyBoard project, now shipping

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 14:41:30 EST 2014

On Thursday, 23 October 2014 22:12:10 UTC+1, sohca... at gmail.com  wrote:
> On Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:07:26 AM UTC-7, jkn wrote:
> > Hi all
> >     I haven't heard in mentioned here, but since I saw one of the boards today thought I'd pass on the news:
> >
> > The Kickstarter 'MicroPython' project, which has a tiny 'pyboard' (only a couple of sq.inches in size) with a processor running 'a complete re-write of the Python (version 3.4) programming language so that it fits and runs on a microcontroller' is now shipping.
> >
> >     https://micropython.org/
> >
> > Looks nice; I have no connection but will be getting one myself to play with...
> >
> >     Cheers
> >     J^n
>

> Is there any particular reason to get one of these when I can get a Raspberry Pi which is faster, has more memory, and a bundle of other features?
>
> I mean, the idea seems cool and all, but I'm trying to understand why I would want to spend the ~$45 on something like that when a ~$35 Raspberry Pi will do everything and more, and do it faster.

They are quite different devices:

* The Raspberry Pi is a low-power general purpose computer designed specifically for education purposes. It just so happens that it's ideal for geek experimentation as well...

* MicroPython is an optimised version of Python 3 running on a micro-controller board, designed specifically for controlling 'things' (eg robots). Doing what it is designed for, it will run far faster and use far less power than a Pi, but cannot do any of the general computing things a Pi can do, for example it has no means of editing programs for MicroPython, you have to do this on, say, your PC and download them to the MicroPython board. It won't do *any* of the other things you can do with a Pi - watch videos, browse the net, etc etc, but what it can do it will do faster and better.

If you want a low-power, cheap, computer to play with and learn from, get a Pi.

If you want a nifty micro-controller you can program in Python, buy a MicroPython board.

John