Understanding "help" command description syntax - explanation needed

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Fri Nov 7 10:03:49 EST 2014

On Nov 7, 2014, at 7:42 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:

> Bob Martin <bob.martin at excite.com> Wrote in message:
>> in 730867 20141107 093651 cl at isbd.net wrote:

But, to get back to the OP’s original question.  The earliest manuals that I remember looking at (from DEC, remember them) all had sections in the front that listed the typological conventions used throughout the manual.  Those included the use of square brackets to indicate optional arguments.  Eventually some of those conventions, including [ ] and the use of a fixed width font to indicate screen output, became so wide spread as to be simply part of the cultural context.

A fair number of “Introduction to . . .” programming books still have such a section.

Bill