Python extension using a C library with one 'hello' function

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:28:04 EST 2014

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Veek M <vek.m1234 at gmail.com> wrote:

> static PyMethodDef hellomethods[] = {
>     {"hello", py_hello, METH_VARARGS, py_hello_doc},
>     {NULL, NULL, 0, NULL},
> };
>
> It's basically the METH_VARARGS field that's giving the problem. Switching
> it to NULL gives,
> SystemError: Bad call flags in PyCFunction_Call. METH_OLDARGS is no longer
> supported!

​Yes, I got that problem too, which is why I switched it to METH_NOARGS.
​

> and METH_NOARGS doesn't work in 3.2

​t does for me:

​
Python 3.2.5 (default, Aug 24 2014, 10:06:23)
[GCC 4.7.4] on linux2
>>> import hello
>>> hello.hello()
hello world
0

​As you can see -- this is a Python 3.2 built with GCC 4.7 (On Gentoo
Linux).  It also works on Python 3.1 and 3.0 (but obviously doesn't work
for Python 2.X).  I can't tell why you're having so many problems...​  Try
doing a "git clean -fxd" to make sure you don't have leftover files lying
around somewhere that are causing grief.

Also, you need to add "-g" to the compiler arguments to make sure you build
with debug symbols if you want a meaningful traceback.

Good luck,
Jason

--
Jason M. Swails