Idle on Mac issues

Andrea D'Amore anddamNOPSAM+gruppi at brapi.net
Tue Nov 4 08:15:59 EST 2014

On 2014-11-04 12:43:59 +0000, Rustom Mody said:

> I seem to be stuck with some issues of Idle on macs.
> The page https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk
> seems to talk only of Tcl/Tk versions 8.5

System's 8.5 should be enough, if not there's explicit mention of the
ActiveTcl distribution.

> Macports seem to have at 8.6
> https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=library&substr=tcl

But that won't likely be used by a binary python installation, unless
you're using python from MacPorts as well.

> Using whatever Tcl/Tk comes with python means many things dont work:
> - The options menu wont open
> - Various keyboard shortcuts dont work

> Any suggestions/directions?
> [Me: A non Mac-er with Mac-ers in my class!]

I'm on 10.10 (happily) running MacPorts, I have system's python 2.7.6
as well as 2.7.8 and 3.4.2 from MacPorts, these two built with Xquartz
support.
I can start the idle binary provided by all of those, the system's with
native GUI, and have working Options menu in all of them.

I'd suggest the people having issue to describe their issues here, with
details on the system version, python version, the exact command they
run and the error they get.

--
Andrea