__index__

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sat Nov 1 13:11:25 EDT 2014

On 11/1/14 12:56 PM, duncan smith wrote:
> Hello,
>        I have a Bloom filter class and want to (partially) serialize
> instances using hex() or oct(). Instances are mutable, so I can't
> inherit from long. I thought I'd found the answer when I came across
> __index__,
> https://docs.python.org/2/reference/datamodel.html#object.__index__. But
> it doesn't seem to work as I expected it to.

> 	def __init__(self):
> 		self.val = 7
> 	def __index__(self):
> 		return self.val

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<pyshell#76>", line 1, in <module>
>      oct(x)
> TypeError: oct() argument can't be converted to oct
> '07'
>>>>

> Can someone please explain why my thinking is wrong on this? TIA.

Just above your link in the docs is __oct__ and __hex__, which are used
to implement oct() and hex():
https://docs.python.org/2/reference/datamodel.html#object.__oct__

That said, I would simply add a .hex() method on the class.  I would
never expect a complex thing like a Bloom filter to be turned into
useful hex with the hex() builtin.

For example, when making an MD5 hash, you use the md5.hexdigest()
method, not hex(md5).