Python 3 is killing Python

Steve Hayes hayesstw at telkomsa.net
Sat May 31 22:57:27 EDT 2014

On Sat, 31 May 2014 13:09:45 +0200, Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de>
wrote:

>On 31.05.2014 12:07, Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> So I bought this book, and decided that whatever version of Python it deals
>> with, that's the one I will download and use.
>
>This sounds like remarkably bad advice. That's like saying "I bought a
>can of motor oil in my department store and whatever engine that is good
>for that's the car that I'll buy and put into!"

No, it's a bit like flying in a Boeing 747 rather than a Concorde. The latyer
may be later and more technically advanced and flew faster, but no one uses or
supports it.

>> The book is:
>>
>> Cunningham, Katie. 2014. Teach yourself Python in 24 hours.
>>                Indianapolis: Sams.
>>                ISBN: 978-0-672-33687-4
>>                    For Python 2.7.5
>>
>> I'll leave Python 3.2 on my computer, but 2.7.5 will be the one I'm installing
>> now. Even if I could *find* a book that deals with Python 3.x, couldn't afford
>> to but yet another Python book.
>
>Lucky for you 2.7.5 isn't all that different from Py3 and most of it
>will apply. You'll be missing out on a bunch of cool features (arbitrary
>precision ints, int division operator, real Unicode support) but that's
>no big deal.

I'm prepared to forgo whatever advantages those may have to avoid the
frustration of example code not working and not knowing why.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm