Suds and Python3

Paul McNett paul at mcnettware.com
Sat May 31 14:59:15 EDT 2014

On 5/31/14, 11:36 AM, tokibito at gmail.com wrote:
> Suds is defacto python SOAP client, but it does not mainte recent few years. Why?

Is it really the defacto? It seems like I've heard more about
pysimplesoap, and looking at GitHub there have been commits in the past
4 days.

As far as why it hasn't been maintained, you could write and ask the
authors directly.

In general, SOAP has been falling out of favor over the past half decade
at least because of its relative heaviness next to, e.g. RESTful web
services usually using JSON instead of XML. Way, way simpler and more
fun to do.

That said, SOAP will be around for a long time and if you need to do it,
you want a good library for it.

I don't have direct experience, but I did do cursory reviews of a
handful of the SOAP libaries listed here in the python wiki:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebServices

And from what I can tell without actually trying any of them,
pysimplesoap feels like the best option currently.

> I want to use SOAP and Python3. How do it?

If it were me, I'd install each of the libraries listed on the wiki page
and make a matrix of features desired, make up a suite of unit tests to
test those features, and then run each of them through the suite to see
how they stack up. Also consider how "alive" the project is, and how the
project's bug tracker is maintained, look at their forum, etc.

Paul