Python 3 is killing Python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat May 31 08:30:11 EDT 2014

On Sat, 31 May 2014 12:07:59 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> I'll leave Python 3.2 on my computer, but 2.7.5 will be the one I'm
> installing now. Even if I could *find* a book that deals with Python
> 3.x, couldn't afford to but yet another Python book.

Version 2.7 is a good choice, and it will be around for a long time: it
will be supported until at least 2020, so you should get many years of
use from it.

Do not be discouraged about Python 3. There are differences, but they
aren't so different as to be a major barrier. By the time you have a bit
of experience with 2.7, you will be more than capable of dealing with the
differences with version 3. They are not different languages, think of
them as slightly different dialects of the same language, like UK and
South African English.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/