IDE for python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri May 30 11:46:41 EDT 2014

On 5/30/2014 9:54 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

>> How do you do this with emacs?
>> I find a menagerie of greppish commands -- rgrep, lgrep, grep-find etc
>
> To grep for a pattern in the directory of the active buffer:
>
>     M-x grep
>     Run grep (like this): grep -nH -e
>
> Complete the grep command:
>
>     Run grep (like this): grep -nH -e class *.py
>
> and hit ENTER. Feel free to modify the command from grep to egrep, for
> example. I often replace -e with -i.
>
> To grep for a pattern in any subdirectory:
>
>     M-x grep
>     Run grep (like this): grep -nH -r assert .
>
> or:
>
>     M-x grep-find
>     Run find (like this): find . -type f -exec grep -nH -e assert {} +
>
> Again, you can modify the command freely:
>
>     M-x grep-find
>     Run find (like this): find . -name '*.py' -exec grep -nH -e assert {} +

Thank you for the answer. I once had things like this memorized, but now
I prefer Idle's dialog, with selected text (if any) and the full path of
the current directory (+/.py) pre-inserted as target and search
directory, and options as radiobuttons (remembered from my last search) ...

> You will get a list of hits in a new buffer. You can use the C-x `
> command to traverse them in order, but there are many other ways.

and a scrollable window for results ;-).

--
Terry Jan Reedy