IDE for python

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Thu May 29 17:05:35 EDT 2014

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> I am curious how many of the editors people have been recommending
> have all of the following Idle features, that I use constantly.

You can satisfy such wonderings with a search for the answers to such
questions, which is how I got these answers.

> 1. Run [Python] code in the editor with a single keypress.

That's not very clear. If you mean, run the entire file being edited:
yes, Vim and Emacs can do that.

I don't use such a feature, because I almost never want to run the
*entire* module; I want to test the one function I'm working on at that
moment. For that purpose, a unit test is more appropriate.

Vim and Emacs also have the feature to run a Python unit test suite with
a single key and navigate the output.

> 2. Display output and traceback in a window that lets you jump from
> the any line in the traceback to the corresponding file and line,
> opening the file if necessary.

Yes, any decent programmer's editor will have this, once it is taught
how to parse the error output from the language interpreter.

For Vim and Emacs, yes, they already know how to capture error output
and interactively jump to the referenced locations in the code.

They also both have interactive debugger modes, including for Python.

> 3. Search unopened files (grep) for a string or re.
> 4. Display grep output in a window that lets you jump from any 'hit'
> to the corresponding file and line, opening the file if necessary.

This is an essential feature of any decent programming editor, and Vim
and Emacs certainly have the feature to grep a file tree and navigate
the results interactively.

--
 \      “[Entrenched media corporations will] maintain the status quo, |
  `\       or die trying. Either is better than actually WORKING for a |