IDE for python

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Thu May 29 04:32:40 EDT 2014

Duncan Booth <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Sameer Rathoud <sameer.rathoud at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Anything that writes text is fine.
>>>
>>> I recommend the standard text editor for your OS (Notepad if you use
>>>
>>> Windows, Textedit on Mac, whatever is on your GNU/Linux distro by
>>>
>>> default) unless you know exactly what you don't like about it.
>>>

>>> Greg
>>
>> Right now I am looking for ide on windows 7 platform.
>>
>> Actually, I shouldn't say this, But I am bit use to intellisense and
>> on go warnings and error and my text editor (Notepad) doesn't provide
>> me that feature  .
>
> If you are used to Visual Studio then you could try PTVS. I have no
> experience of it, but http://pytools.codeplex.com/
>
>> PTVS is a free, open source plugin that turns Visual Studio into a
>> Python IDE.
>>
>> PTVS supports CPython, IronPython, editing, browsing, Intellisense,
>> mixed Python/C++ debugging, remote linux/MacOS debugging, profiling,
>> IPython, Django, and cloud computing with client libraries for
>> Windows, Linux and MacOS.
>>
>> Designed, developed, and supported by Microsoft and the community.

I'm just watching the video from that page. It is impressive just how much
of intellisense they have working with PTVS: for example inside a function
doing 'find all references' on a local variable that happens to be a method
passed in to the function shows you all def lines for methods that are
passed as parameters. There's a heck of a lot of type inferencing going on.

--
Duncan Booth