Forking PyPI package

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 29 04:06:25 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Duncan Booth
<duncan.booth at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you absolutely can't get in touch with him, the only option is to
>> completely ignoring this code. It's sad but true; some code dies
>> because of a trivial thing like "Oops, I forgot to actually say that
>> this is MIT-licensed".
>>
>> (At least, I can't see a license anywhere on github there. If you can
>> find another copy of the same code somewhere else, posted by its
>> author, and including a license, then your job is easier.)
>
> Deep in the code (pwdhash / pwdhash.py.egg-info / PKG-INFO):
>
>   Author: Lev Shamardin
>   Author-email: shamardin at gmail.com
>   License: BSD
>
> Still better to get in touch with the author, but he has actually stated
> the license albeit in the most minimal way possible.

Ah! There you go then. Excellent.

In that case, the options I see are (in priority order):

1) Contact the author with your proposed changes, possibly with the
actual code or possibly leaving that for later, for inclusion in the
original project.

2) Ask the author if he's okay with you maintaining the Python 3
equivalent version as a separate project, under the same name.

3) If you can't get in touch with the author, just maintain that Py3
version, but maybe under a different name to avoid accidental
confusion.

ChrisA