Python box (home-use smart router)

Rhodri James rhodri at wildebst.org.uk
Wed May 28 19:03:39 EDT 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014 08:33:42 +0100, animalize81 <animalize81 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Home-use smart router is more and more popular.
>
> If <Python Software Foundation> embeds Python into such router, and
> develops a framework that has the following features:
>
> 1, allow power-down at any time
> 2, dynamic domain name
> 3, local storage support (SD cards or Hard Disk)
> 4, telnet server
> etc.
>
> Then we can create micro private server on it.
>
> Still can't see the full prospect, but it may be a great platform for
> people's imagination.
>
> I think Python is very suitable for such role.

Have you met the Raspberry Pi?

Seriously, since many such "smart routers" are Linux boxes, there's a good
chance there is already a Python interpreter installed and your list of
other demands is already met.  It's certainly the case in the boxes I work
on, and we do use Python for bits of system scripting.  We *don't* use
Python for application writing because speed and space constraints are
usually quite tight, which generally means coding in C for preference
(despite my boss's attempts to force me to use C++).