IDE for python

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:25:11 EDT 2014

On 5/28/14 5:43 AM, Sameer Rathoud wrote:

> I am currently using python 3.3
> With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.
> Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

I tend to agree with Chris & Steven on this... a good gnu/linux desktop
is the best IDE (debian, xfce, terminals galore)

Early in my unix career I learned VI (now VIM) and find that for most
editing jobs (even from remote) --- can't be beat.

OTOH, I would highly recommend getting comfortable with IDLE; especially
if you're using 3.3+ /   the modern IDLE works, is stable, and has many
advantages over just a tabbed editor. It is highly configurable, simple
and elegant, not to mention that its written against tkinter with pure
python. Today I'm using IDLE for python development almost exclusively.

You no doubt are getting comfortable with python's indentation code
blocking delimiting anomaly. IDLE helps with that. Yes, you can use
tabs, but you shouldn't (for several reasons, I spare you). Typically
the indentation is 4 spaces; IDLE handles this for you automatically
(mostly) and allows the 4 spaces to be reconfigured.

The only really irritating aspect of IDLE which I had to get used to was
that the interactive REPL provides no way to clear the screen. Its
debugging capabilities (and undo levels) more than make up for that tiny
small snag.

You will come to appreciate the class path browser, recent files, &c.
The default highlight colors are well chosen (they may be changed) and
the window size and fonts may be changed. I think IDLE looks good. Its
clean, clear, and functional.

I guess what I'm encouraging you to do is be patient with IDLE until you
get a grip on it. There's more to it than meets the eye, at first.

marcus