IDE for python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed May 28 09:04:55 EDT 2014

On Wed, 28 May 2014 03:43:29 -0700, Sameer Rathoud wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to python.
>
> I am currently using python 3.3
>
> With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.
>
> Please suggest, if we have any free ide for python development.

What operating system are you using? The best IDE for Python is Unix or
Linux:

http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/series/unix-as-ide/

My IDE is to have three GUI windows open:

* A web browser for searching the Internet. Any browser will do, but I
prefer Firefox.

* A tabbed editor. I prefer kate (KDE 3 version, not KDE 4), but geany is
also good. At a pinch gedit will do. kwrite is another good editor, but
not tabbed, and it lacks some of the features of kate.

* An xterm or console app, again with tabs. I like KDE 3's konsole, but
any modern, configurable, tabbed console will do.

If I'm working collaboratively with others, I'll also have an IRC client
open, for chatting. Or being distracted, more likely. I'll often also
have a Unicode character selector open, such as KCharSelect or Gnome
Charmap.

I open a few tabs in the console:

* At least one tab running in a Python interactive interpreter, for
testing small snippets of code, running the Python interactive help()
system, and so forth.

* At least one tab for running my code, or my unit tests.

* Another tab for managing files, including source control (hg or git).

Some people like to do all of this from a single tab, using the screen
command to manage virtual tabs. I am not one of those people. For the
same reason, I prefer GUI editors over emacs or vim.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/