Hello and sorry for disturbing !

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue May 27 16:34:49 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:56 AM, giacomo boffi <pecore at pascolo.net> wrote:
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> For ubuntu you should need nothing for python.
>> In other words python should run on a basic ubuntu installation.
>> From the shell just type python and the interpreter should start.
>>
>> For more specialized work there are dozens (maybe hundreds?) of
>> packages in the apt repos.
>
> % apt-cache show python<TAB><TAB>
> Display all 2776 possibilities? (y or n)

Not quite fair, as some of those exist in multiple forms (python-* and
python3-*, or -dbg and -dev as well as the base package, or the
package-and-subpackage model of large stuff like python-django-*), and
on Debian Wheezy I have only (only!) 1890. But yep, that is a lot of
packages available in apt.

ChrisA