Check to see if the script has been previously used?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue May 27 07:05:21 EDT 2014

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 5:45 PM, KC Sparks <kcrsparks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was wondering if there was an extension or way that would allow me to
>> print instructions if it is the first the the user has used the script.
>
> The trickiest part is defining the 'user'. Generally, this sort of
> thing is done by creating a file; if the file's not there, it's the
> first time. Some versions of sudo will create a file called
> .sudo_as_admin_successful in the user's home directory; others create
> /var/lib/sudo/<username> as a directory, and storing information
> there. Either technique works well for recognizing a first-time user.
>
> ChrisA

The problem can be simpler if you're assuming a machine with only
 one user, or more complicated if the obvious disk location is
 either read-only to the user, or volatile.

You also might want to clear all such flags upon an upgrade.  If
 so, it's not just a file needed, but a sortable version
 string.

Preferred approach is usually to respond to one of the
 conventional argv switches.  And let the user decide.

--
DaveA