Build tools, and Python 3 dependencies (was: How keep Python 3 moving forward)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon May 26 23:06:01 EDT 2014

Oh, I was a bit trigger-happy with my earlier post.

On Mon, 26 May 2014 08:44:51 -0400, Roy Smith wrote about his build
system and production code:

> The are tightly integrated, and share code.

[...]

> When you start working with large systems, reducing complexity becomes
> important.  Every time you add a component, it comes with its own set of
> dependencies and constraints.  Those things come back to bite you when
> you least expect it.

How ironic that you have now got *more* constraints, *stronger*
dependencies and *more* complexity than if you had written a less tightly
coupled system.

Complexity is not, in and of itself, the most serious problem. But
coupling is. You're now constrained that you cannot make changes to your
application without simultaneously changing your build system. Although
you have *fewer* dependencies, they've locked you in to a single course
of action even more tightly than if you had more.

At least that's the impression that you have given.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/