Make Python Compilable, convert to Python source to Go

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon May 26 21:24:35 EDT 2014

On Mon, 26 May 2014 12:17:10 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 26/05/2014 07:31, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
>> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 3:24 AM, Mark Lawrence
>> <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> That's good to know, it'll save me wasting my time looking at it now.
>>
>> This seems like an unnecessarily harsh way of putting it, Mark. Could
>> you be less dismissive of the hard work others put into improving the
>> Python world?
>>
>> -- Devin
>>

> Like Python 2.8?

I think you may have drifted into an alternate universe. There is no
Python 2.8 and nobody has done any hard work on writing it, so I have no
idea what point you think you are making. (That's the trouble with snappy
one-line answers to serious questions -- they often make no sense to
anyone outside of your head.)

The OP has done a lot of hard work at writing a Python 2 to Go translator
(allegedly -- we haven't actually been shown his project) and assuming it
works and done what he says it does, that's valuable. Python 2.7 will be
part of the Python ecosystem until at least 2022. Furthermore, adapting
an existing Python2 to Go compiler to work with Python3 will be much
easier than writing one from scratch.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/