How keep Python 3 moving forward

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun May 25 14:03:43 EDT 2014

In article <mailman.10285.1401009964.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> Ubuntu provides a (partial) Py3 port of boto.

As long as the part that's ported includes all the bits of boto we
currently need, plus all the bits of boto we haven't yet discovered we
need, but will sometime in the future, we're good :-)

> And I don't really see why you would consider fabric a dependency
> that keeps you from switching to Py3. In many cases, you can just
> keep running it in Py2 as you did before.

In theory, that's possible.  In practice, it would mean having to
maintain two different versions of Python, and test everything against
both.  That adds a lot of complexity, for very little value.