How keep Python 3 moving forward

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri May 23 19:57:24 EDT 2014

In article <mailman.10254.1400876180.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> An article by Brett Cannon that I thought might be of interest
> http://nothingbutsnark.svbtle.com/my-view-on-the-current-state-of-python-3

Thanks for the pointer.  I installed and ran caniusepython3.  It tells
me:

> Finding and checking dependencies ...
> [WARNING] rpclib not found
>
> You need 19 projects to transition to Python 3.
> Of those 19 projects, 17 have no direct dependencies blocking their
> transition:
>
>   beanstalkc
>   dateglob
>   diamond
>   django-multi-sessions
>   django-timedeltafield
>   dnspython
>   ecks
>   fabric
>   gevent (which is blocking grequests)
>   hash_ring
>   httmock
>   jellyfish
>   boto (which is blocking mrjob)
>   paste
>   pyephem
>   python-cjson
>   suds

That's a big list.  A few of those we could probably work around or
replace with a different module without too much pain.  But, between
gevent, boto, fabric, and suds, any idea of migrating is a total
non-starter for us.  I imagine they're all working on ports, but I'll
check back in a year and see how things stand.