shebang & windows: call an extensionless git hook

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 23 10:01:38 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Albert-Jan Roskam
<fomcl at yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid> wrote:
> Ok, I just found out that the script works as-is under Windows (I need to save it as 'pre-commit', not as 'pre-commit.py'. That's great, though I still don't understand how Windows (or Git) knows how to do with it.

Are you running git from inside bash? If so, it's probably parsing the
shebang and simulating a Unixesque environment, as part of the whole
"let's try to make Unix stuff mostly work" policy. I'm amazed at how
well it actually works; from drive letters to execution differences,
everything's somehow finagled into operation.

ChrisA