Reading OpenOffice spreadsheet in Python?

Martin Manns mmanns at gmx.net
Tue May 20 15:45:15 EDT 2014

On Tue, 20 May 2014 11:38:06 -0500
Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> I am so fed up with LibreOffice's inability to properly support really
> basic Excel capabilities, I'm about ready to throw my computer out the

Could you please give some examples, what basic Excel capabilities you
are missing?

> I'm open to other options as well. I see a number of Google
> spreadsheet modules, and there is pyspread. The former has the
> permission issue (besides, where I work everything goes into Git), and
> I'm not sure how full-featured or stable the latter is (but, will
> investigate).

Maybe gnumeric may be an option, too.

Pyspread should run fine on the Mac. However, Macs are not officially
supported because there are no testers for OSX, yet.

Please note that pyspread does not translate Excel "xls" files into
Python but only imports cell contents and formatting via xlrd. If you
use Excel cell functions or VBA then you would have to migrate your
code to Python.

Martin