Python and Math

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Tue May 20 08:51:27 EDT 2014

"Tim Golden" <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote in message
news:537B42BC.3030508 at timgolden.me.uk...
> On 20/05/2014 12:20, Rustom Mody wrote:
>> On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:43:45 PM UTC+5:30, Tim Golden wrote:
>>> If it's possible, download get-pip.py from here:
>>>
>>> https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
>>
>> Gives me secure connection failed error (in firefox)
>>

> I've reported on the PyPA issues list for pip:
>
> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1823
>
> but, as you can see from that report, I was only able to get a failure
> in one circumstance. I can successfully download via FF29, IE11 & chrome
> whatever, all on Win7.

I have never managed to install pip before (not that I have tried very hard)
but following
your instructions I seemed to have installed it successfully, using Windows
Server 2003,
IE8, and python 3.3.

I used it to install IPython, with the following results.

First I ran 'pip install ipython', which worked.

Then I read the IPython docs, which gave the following command to install
Notebook -
    'pip install ipython[notebook]'

That seemed to work, but when I ran 'ipython notebook' it failed on 'import
pyzmq'.

I ran 'pip install pyzmq', tried again, and it failed on 'import jinja2'.

I used pip to install that, then it failed on 'import tornado'.

I used pip to install that, and now it seems to be working.

Now I understand why 'pip' is so popular - despite the above hiccups, it
felt very smooth.

Thanks for the instructions, Tim - much appreciated.

Frank Millman