Python and Math

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue May 20 06:13:45 EDT 2014

On 20/05/2014 10:19, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:

>> I realise that this probably isn't very helpful, but I've just
>> successfully installed ipython on Python 3.3 and Python 3.4 (Win7
>> 32-bit) by simply doing:
>>
>> py -3.3 -mpip install ipython
>>
>> py -3.4 -mpip install ipython
>>

> Sorry, but I'm even not able to understand how to install pip! Py3.3,
> why? because I already all the Qt derivative.
>
> I found the pip manual, I do not get it! To install pip: To install
> or upgrade pip, securely download get-pip.py. Where? What should I do
> with it?

Ah, I understand. I thought you already had pip and just had
difficulties beyond that. Frankly, yes, bootstrapping pip on Windows can
be a bit frustrating. That's why 3.4 comes with a version pre-installed.
But you say you want to stay with 3.3.

If it's possible, download get-pip.py from here:

https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py

(linked from here: http://pip.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installing.html)

using wget, curl, File Save As, python requests, urllib.urlretrieve or
whatever other method you choose.

And then run the get-pip.py program with the version of Python for which
you wish to install pip. eg,

c:\python33\python.exe get-pip.py

That will download the current versions of everything needed and will
put various flavours of pip.exe into c:\python33\scripts. As I mentioned
before, I've tended not to have the scripts directory on my path, and
you can instead do:

py -3.3 -mpip install ....

I think some people have put together .msi/.exe installers for this but
I can't point to any one in particular.

TJG