Roland Plüss roland at rptd.ch
Mon May 19 12:37:46 EDT 2014

On 05/19/2014 03:40 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Roland Plüss <roland at rptd.ch> wrote:
>> This exec source_code in module.__dict__ , should this not also be doable
>> with PyEval_EvalCode?
> General principle: The more code you write in Python and the less in
> C/C++, the happier and more productive you will be.
>
> Drop into Python as soon as you can, and do all the work from there.
> You won't have to worry about RAM (de)allocation, Unicode (especially
> if you use Python 3 rather than 2), integer overflow, etc, etc, etc.
> Only write lower-level code for the bits that actually demand it; and
> as Stefan has pointed out, Cython is a great help there.
>
> (Which reminds me. I still need some "excuse project" to justify my
> learning Cython. It's good-looking tech but everything I can imagine
> writing seems to already exist.)
>
> ChrisA
Cython is out of question since link time dependencies has to be kept at
an utmost minimum. An concerning doing things from python code it's
simply not possible (or I don't know how this should work). Python is
fully embedded including any file actions (virtual file system). The
launch comes from C++ land. No interpreter is involved. The main work is
done outside Python and only dropped in python to do higher logic. This
also means the very first python code run requires a C++ script file
doesn't yet exist in the reach of the python VM. That's the main
problem. This is why I need to figure out how to push that first code
into Python in a way I can construct an object (from a predefined
class). From there on all calls into Python land are solely done trough
function calls on this one object obtained in the beginning. I see no
other way to handle the problem.

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland

Leader and Head Programmer
- Game: Epsylon ( http://www.indiedb.com/games/epsylon )
- Game Engine: Drag[en]gine ( http://www.indiedb.com/engines/dragengine
, http://dragengine.rptd.ch/wiki )
- Normal Map Generator: DENormGen ( http://epsylon.rptd.ch/denormgen.php )
- As well as various Blender export scripts und game tools