using a new computer and bringing needed libraries to it

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Sun May 18 03:39:58 EDT 2014

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday, May 18, 2014 5:47:05 AM UTC+5:30, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> > Make a list of the [Python-specific] packages you need. Put it in a
> > file called requirements.txt. […]
>
> What about things installed at a lower level than pip, eg apt-get?

That's an important issue. Requirements of a project, such as packages
that need to be installed from the operating system (e.g. “you need
Python 3.2 or later for this project”), are ideal for documenting in
plain human-targeted text in a document called “requirements.txt”.

Which is why I advocate using a *different* filename, more explicit
about its special purpose (e.g. ‘pip_requirements’), for the
Pip-specific (and thereby Python-specific) machine-readable
configuration file.

--
 \       “But Marge, what if we chose the wrong religion? Each week we |
  `\          just make God madder and madder.” —Homer, _The Simpsons_ |