Python and Math

Gary Herron gary.herron at islandtraining.com
Sun May 18 00:12:17 EDT 2014

On 05/17/2014 08:13 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>      Does Python have good mathematical capabilities? I am interested in
> learning a second language for mathematical purposes. I am considering
> looking at python, perl, fortran, Adas out. It looked too complicated to
> learn. Perl looked easy and I haven't really looked into python.
>
> Bill

Depends on what you mean by mathematics.  The language itself has a
reasonable set of numeric types and operations on those types, but what
really makes Python shine is the libraries built on Python and their
capabilities.    Beside the several already mentioned, I'll add
     Sage: www.sagemath.org/index.html
which presents a consistent Python interface to nearly 100 OpenSource
mathematical packages containing symbolic manipulation of all sorts of
algebra, calculus, linear algebra, plotting, rings and groups, and much
*much* more.

Gary Herron