Everything you did not want to know about Unicode in Python 3

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat May 17 17:07:49 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-17 13:07, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 09:57:06 +0100, Robert Kern wrote:

>>> That's factually incorrect. In the US, sufficiently old works, or works
>>> of a certain age that were not explicitly registered for copyright, are
>>> in the public domain. Under a wide range of circumstances, works
>>> created by the federal government go immediately into the public
>>> domain.
>>
>> There is such a thing as the public domain in the US, and there are
>> works in it, but there isn't really such a thing as "placing a work"
>> there voluntarily, as Grant says. A work either is or isn't in the
>> public domain. The author has no choice in the matter.
>
> That's incorrect.
>
> http://cr.yp.to/publicdomain.html

Thanks for the link. While it has not really changed my opinion (as discussed at
length in my other reply), I did not know that the 9th Circuit had formalized
the "overt act" test in their civil procedure rules, so there is at least one
jurisdiction in the US that does currently work like this. None of the others
do, to my knowledge, and this is the product of judicial common law, not
statutory law, so it's still pretty shaky.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco