PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Sat May 17 08:52:44 EDT 2014

In article <mailman.10041.1400164039.18130.python-list at python.org>,
Chris Angelico  <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM,  <wxjmfauth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One another trick is to drop spaces around keywords

>> 12345
>>
>> and pray, the tools from those who are wasting their time in
>> writing code analyzers or syntax colorizers or doc strings
>> collectors or ... are finally working. Depending of the tools
>> the interpretation may vary, but definitely all are producing
>> erroneous results.
>
>Yes. Another very effective way to get your code below 80 characters
>is to shorten all names to a single letter. Since you don't need to
>restrict yourself to monocase Roman letters (as I had to in my
>earliest programming days, in BASIC), it's actually quite practical to
>uniquely name everything in a single character; you could save
>enormous amounts of horizontal space. Then, aggressively "import as"
>to do the same with remote symbols (you might need two characters for
>those), and you'll be able to write everything in just a few tight
>symbols!

That may be tong-in-cheek but mathematicians do exactly that. We
use roman, greek and hebrew alphabets in normal italics and boldface
and then some special characters for element-of, logical-or, integral signs,
triangles and what not. Underbarred and upper twiggled, as a suffix a prefix
or a superfix. All in the name of avoiding names longer than one character.

When we run out then there are creative ways to combine known characters
into Jacobi symbols and choose functions.

There are even conventions that allow to leave out characters, like
"juxtaposition means multiplication" and the Einstein summation convention.

You have to invest but terseness pays off.

Now translate E=mc^2 into Java.

albert at spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst