PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu May 15 20:21:31 EDT 2014

On Thu, 15 May 2014 16:07:54 +0300, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de>:
>
>> I don't know why anyone would force a display issue onto everyone.
>
> Well, if I have to work with your code, you are forcing your style on
> me.

+1

>> It imples the arrogant stance that every human being has the exact way
>> of reading and writing code. Everyone can configure her editor to what
>> she wants (including line breaks and such).
>
> That's a good point: why aren't we just exchanging AST's and configuring
> the editor to display them in our preferred format?

Oh, I hope not. Sometimes information is carried by the layout. For
example, if I write a class:

class Spam:

    def foo(self): ...
    def bar(self): ...
    def baz(self): ...

    def foobar(self): ...

then without me saying anything, the reader should realise that foo, bar
and baz, but not foobar, go together in a weak sense. If it were a strong
sense, foobar ought to go into a separate class.

A real example: writing getters and setters for property. Particularly if
they are one or two line methods, I'll usually run them together with no
separating blank lines to emphasize that they belong together.

ASTs often don't include comments, so that's a problem.

> Well, we're not there yet.
>
> Objective readability is not the main issue here, IMO. It's the screen
> estate. I know the idea of "windows" is fast disappearing from modern
> ("mobile") computing; you have "apps" instead that commandeer the whole
> screen. Personally, I find that a big step backwards.

Yes. In my opinion, mobile computing is a huge step backwards for
personal control of your own hardware, usability, and power. In my
opinion, people will look back at the first decade of the 21st century as
the golden age of personal computing.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/