PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:14:15 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> There *are* some places where non-text programming has won.  The biggest
> example would be GUI builders.  Nobody programs screen and window
> layouts by typing textual descriptions.  They push boxes around in a GUI
> builder.

Hi, I'm Nobody, and I like warm hugs!

My GUI building is entirely by typing textual descriptions. Yes, there
are some good builders, but I do my layouts on a basis of rules rather
than strict pixel positions. Rules and bag-based layouts mean there's
no problem with something getting too big and messing up your layout.

Is it really helpful to drag objects into a nearly-invisible "Vertical
Box" container? Pushing boxes around is great when you attach
everything directly to the window, but that gets messed up pretty
quickly by a user's themes, font sizes, etc (not to mention a change
of platform). Explicitly putting things into their boxes, grids,
tables, etc means it's always right.

ChrisA