PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:31:44 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> I know the idea of "windows" is fast disappearing from modern
> ("mobile") computing; you have "apps" instead that commandeer the whole
> screen. Personally, I find that a big step backwards. I want to be able
> to subdivide the screen for many windows that represent different
> contexts and tasks.

Duh! :)

I'm currently working on Sikorsky (all my computers have names, of
course), with six Xfce workspaces. On those, my text editor (SciTE)
and MUD client (Gypsum) are set to "Always on visible workspace";
everything else is whereever I choose to put it (VMs on workspace 2,
most of my primary activity on workspace 3, Alice: Madness Returns on
workspace 6, etc). Each workspace is subdivided into approximately
five million terminal windows, because that's what I do everything
with :) One web browser window, or maybe two; occasional other stuff;
but mainly, lots and lots of terminals. I can't imagine trying to get
any serious work done without loading up multiple consoles, some of
them SSH'd to other boxes, and being able to copy and paste between
them.

The Windows 8 / Unity / GNOME 3 model annoys me greatly. Can't get
work done like that.

ChrisA