PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu May 15 08:16:19 EDT 2014

On 05/14/2014 10:12 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
> In article <mailman.10026.1400116640.18130.python-list at python.org>,
>   Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I still remember the cry of anguish when the guy in the computer
>> building at (the then) Portsmouth Polytechnic dropped his cardboard box
>> of punch cards that made up his end of course project.
>
> That's why you punch sequence numbers in columns 73-80.  If the cards
> get out of order, just run the deck through the sorter.

And of course, don't forget to increment them by 10's, so you can insert
new cards without resequencing the remainder.

I recall having to buy two tapes, because the operators were very
resistant to taking several boxes of cards at one shot.  (A box was 2000
cards) At that point, the card decks were instructions to the editor,
how to turn the version of the code on tape1 into the new version, to be
written to tape2.  (And on every run, don't forget to reverse the lines
describing which tape is tape1 and which is tape2.)

--
DaveA