Fortran

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed May 14 02:58:07 EDT 2014

On Wed, 14 May 2014 07:35:35 +0300, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:
>
>> On Tue, 13 May 2014 22:57:16 +0300, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>
>>> Producing an effective JIT for Python seems like a formidable
>>> challenge but not impossible in principle.
>>
>> Or in practice.
>>
>> http://pypy.org/
>
> I'm having a hard time finding information on how well it performs wrt
> Java, for example. Did PyPy truly find the Philosophers' Stone?

I don't understand your question. PyPy doesn't do anything with Java. In
principle you could use PyPy's underlying toolchain to build a Java
compiler, similar to the Python, Prolog and PHP compilers already made,
but nobody has done so for Java so far as I know.

http://morepypy.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/hello-everyone.html

Or do you mean, how does PyPy compare with <insert name of Java compiler
here>? I don't know. There are some old benchmarks here:

http://attractivechaos.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/my-programming-language-
benchmarks-plb/

but the person doing the benchmarks is by his own admission not a skilled
Python programmer.

--
Steven