Everything you did not want to know about Unicode in Python 3

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue May 13 09:37:47 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/05/2014 09:38, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>

>> It's not a good thing. It means that you have the convenience of
>> pretending there's no problem, which means you don't notice trouble
>> until something happens... and then, in all probability, your app is
>> in production and you have no idea why stuff went wrong.
>>

> Unless you're (un)lucky enough to be working on IIRC the 1/3 of major IT
> projects that deliver nothing :)

Been there, done that. At least, most likely so... there is a chance,
albeit slim, that the boss/owner will either discover someone who'll
finish the project for him, or find the time to finish it himself. I
gather he's looking at ripping all my code out and replacing it with
PHP of his own design, which should be fun. On the plus side, that
does mean he can get any idiot straight out of a uni course to do the
work; much easier than finding someone who knows Python, Pike, bash,
and C++. The White King told Alice that cynicism is a disease that can
be cured... but it can also be inflicted, and a promising-looking
N-year project that collapses because the boss starts getting stupid
with code formatting rules and then ends up firing his last remaining
competent employee is a pretty effective means of instilling cynicism.

ChrisA