PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Tue May 13 08:10:11 EDT 2014

Ganesh Pal <ganesh1pal at gmail.com> writes:

> what would be the best way to intent the below line .

You'd need to define “best” in order to get an objective answer.

So my answer will be based on my preferences, and general rules I've
observed for making code readable.

> Example 1 :
>
>    p =
> Subprocess.Popen(shlex.split(cmd),stdout=subprocess.PIPE,stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

(Your example violates PEP 8 also in not having a space after the
commas. I'll fix that in my response.)

Breaking a long line after bracketing syntax is a good way to do it.
Make sure to use sntadard indentation::

    Subprocess.Popen(
            shlex.split(cmd), stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

Alternatively, if the statement line is indented further::

                Subprocess.Popen(
                        shlex.split(cmd),
                        stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
                        stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

> Iam running pylint and it says  the above line is tool long how do I limit
> it to 79 character without violating any rules

* Break after bracketing syntax::

      frobnicate(
              foo, bar, baz)

* Keep all the inside-the-brackets contents at the same indentation
  level (preferably 8 columns, to differentiate from a block of
  statements)

      if worzel:
          fnoop(wibble, wobble, wubble)
      frobnicate(
              foo, bar, baz)
      while True:
          gezunk()

Here's an answer I gave on StackOverflow for this question
<URL:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5931297/how-would-you-properly-break-this-line-to-match-pep8-rules/17246180#17246180>
(<URL:http://stackoverflow.com/a/17246180/70157>).

--
 \           “If you're a cowboy and you're dragging a guy behind your |
  `\      horse, I bet it would really make you mad if you looked back |