Fortran (Was: The "does Python have variables?" debate)

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 01:55:06 EDT 2014

On 5/13/14 12:48 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2014 00:33:47 -0500, Mark H Harris wrote:
>
>> there has to be a value add for scientists to move away from R or
>> Matlab, or from FORTRAN. Why go to the trouble?  FORTRAN works well (its
>> fast too), and there are zillions of lines of code cranking away on huge
>> linear arrays.  Enter Julia... over the next ten years; seriously.
>> Because of the value adds!
>>
>>      Why?, glad you asked.  Enter self modifying code for one.
>
> Self-modifying code is a nightmare inside the head of a Lovecraftian
> horror. There's a reason why almost the only people still using self-
> modifying code are virus writers, and the viruses they create are
> notorious for being buggy.

    no, no, no...  Steven don't think self-modifying (sorry I even used
it) think meta-programming. Python accomplishes this kind of thing using
Class and function decorations (sort-uv).

    Take a look at the video presentation of the concept before you turn
it into a Friday the Thirteenth virus writing horror flick...  its going
to be as powerful as lisp was supposed to be with the user friendliness
of python-like code-ability but 'without' the forced indentation rule
(Julia uses 'ends' and white-space means nothing).

marcus