How do I access 'Beautiful Soup' on python 2.7 or 3.4 , console or idle versions.

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun May 11 15:17:33 EDT 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Simon Evans <musicalhacksaw at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Thank you everyone who replied, for your help. Using the command prompt console, it accepts the first line of code, but doesn't seem to accept the second line. I have altered it a little, but it is not having any of it, I quote my console input and output here, as it can probably explain things better than I :-

Thank you. This sort of transcript does make it very easy to see
what's going on!

> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Users\Intel Atom>cd"c:\Beautiful Soup"
> The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Command line syntax is always to put a command first (one word), and
then its arguments (zero, one, or more words). You put quotes around a
logical word when it has spaces in it. So, for instance, "foo bar" is
one logical word. In this case, you omitted the space between the
command and its argument, so Windows couldn't handle it. [1]

> C:\Users\Intel Atom>cd "c:\Beautiful Soup"

And this is correct; you put quotes around the argument, and execute
the "cd" command with an argument of "c:\Beautiful Soup". It then
works, as is shown by the change of prompt in your subsequent lines.

> c:\Beautiful Soup>python setup.py install.
>   File "setup.py", line 22
>     print "Unit tests have failed!"
>                                   ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

This indicates that you've installed a 3.x version of Python as the
default, and setup.py is expecting a 2.x Python. Do you have multiple
Pythons installed? Try typing this:

c:\Python27\python setup.py install

(That will work only if you have Python 2.7 installed into the default
location.)

Hope that helps!

ChrisA
[1] Windows lets you be a bit sloppy; for instance, cd\ works without
a space between the command and the argument. (AFAIK this is true if
and only if the path name starts with a backslash.) But normally, you
separate command and argument(s) with a space.