Fortran

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun May 11 13:51:21 EDT 2014

In article <871tw0s2kl.fsf at elektro.pacujo.net>,
 Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:

> Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl>:
>
> > Given that Fortran is here for almost 60 years and lot of effort has
> > been spent to keep it backwards compatible (AFAIK), I wouldn't hold my
> > breath.
>
> I have seen a glimpse of the so-called scientific computing and Fortran
> programming. I can't help but think that Fortran is successful with
> people who don't know how to program and don't care.
>
> That's fine. If I were to build a cyclotron, I bet the Fortran coders
> would smile at my clumsy efforts.

It is fine.  Computers are tools.  The sign of a good tool is that you
can pick it up and use it without having to read the instruction manual.
I can jump into pretty much any car, start the engine, and drive it,
without any learning curve.  There's a lot of complicated organic
chemistry and thermodynamics going on inside the engine's combustion
chambers, but I don't need to know any of that to make use of the tool.