What is the difference between 32 and 64 bit Python on Windows 7 64 bit?

Ross Gayler r.gayler at gmail.com
Sun May 11 02:56:02 EDT 2014

Hi,

I want to install Python on a PC with 16GB of RAM and the 64 bit version of
Windows 7.
I want Python to be able to use as much as possible of the RAM.

When I install the 64 bit version of Python I find that sys.maxint ==
2**31  - 1
Whereas the Pythpon installed on my 64 bit linux system returns sys.maxint
== 2**63 - 1.

It looks to me as though 32 and 64 bit versions of Python on 64 bit Windows
are both really 32 bit Python, differing only in how they interact with
Windows. So I wouldn't expect 64 bit Python running on 64 bit Windows to
allow the large data struictures I could have with 64 bit Python running on
64 bit linux.

Is that true?I have spent a couple of hours searching for a definitive
description of the difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Python
for Windows and haven't found anything.

Thanks

Ross