Fortran (Was: The "does Python have variables?" debate)

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Sun May 11 02:17:55 EDT 2014

On 5/10/14 8:42 AM, Roy Smith wrote:
> Ars Technica article a couple of days ago, about Fortran, and what is
> likely to replace it:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/mr54p96

uhm, yeeah!

'Julia' is going to give everyone a not so small run for competition;
justifiably so,  not just against FORTRAN.

Julia is Matlab and  R, Python, Lisp, Scheme; all rolled together on
steroids. Its amazing as a dynamic language, and its fast, like
lightning fast as well as multiprocessing (parallel processing) at its
core. Its astounding, really.

Its number concept is unified, BigFloats are by default arbitrary
precision with full scientific and transcendental functions built-in,
everything complex just works, and did I mention its fast? The
bench-marks are within 2x of C across the boards;  makes Matlab look
like a rock, and is well ahead of python (NumPy SciPy) for technical
computing.

Julia is still very much beta in my opinion but its maturing fast. Its
open free (libre) and cross platform and did I mention it flatout
screams? Not only will it replace FORTRAN completely if things keep
progressing, but also Matlab, Mathematica, NumPy, & SciPy (and others).
Keep your eye on her fellows.

marcus