Free vs proprietary (was Re: NumPy, SciPy, & Python 3X Installation/compatibility issues)

Nelson Crosby nelsoncrosby at gmail.com
Sun May 11 00:16:06 EDT 2014

I also believe in this more 'BSD-like' view, but from a business point of view. No one is going to invest in a business that can't guarantee against piracy, and such a business is much less likely to receive profit (see Ardour).

Don't get me wrong - I love free software. It's seriously awesome to she what a community can do. But at the same time, some people want to earn a living from writing code. That is simply not possible without proprietary software.